Welcome to the Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church Oxford
Sacred Heart Church in Blackbird Leys, Oxford is part of the Archdiocese of Birmingham. We hope that you will find our website useful and enjoy searching through the various aspects of life in the parish. Here you will be able to check our weekly newsletter, news and forthcoming parish events, read about how to go about with Sacramental preparation and find out Mass times and other services.
Whatever your reason for visiting us we pray that God will bless your search and grant you many blessings
Welcome to Sacred Heart Church for Mass.
If you have recently moved into this parish, or if you are returning after lockdown, please come and say hello to me. Thank you.
Following the lifting of certain regulations on July 19th the Bishops’ Conference has issued guidelines for Catholic churches. Although some regulations will be lifted, care must be taken to ensure that churches continue to be places where people feel safe to gather to worship.
The full guidance can be viewed at:
- Hand sanitising is still recommended.
- Face coverings are still strongly recommended in church.
- Adequate ventilation is still a priority.
- The individual desire for social distancing still needs to be respected.
- Holy water fonts are to remain unfilled.
- The sign of peace remains suspended.
- As long as the Test, Track and Trace system is operational, QR codes will remain clearly visible and parishioners should sign in on the sheets provided if they are not using an app.
- Holy Communion will continue to be under one Kind.
- Congregational singing may be reintroduced Musicians, please take note (no pun intended). Those who want to join in with the singing should wear a mask at this time.
The obligation to attend Sunday Mass is still suspended. The Bishops’ Conference hopes that it will be reintroduced on the 1st Sunday of Advent (28th November).
Keys. We have been asked if we would rent out the parish flat to a priest from the Syro-Malabar community, and we have started the hard work of doing this. We will also be turning the small meeting room into my study. Can I ask that if you have keys to the downstairs door to the flat or to the small meeting room can you return them to me or to Chris Breward as soon as possible, please?
Future Parish Events. As I am sure you will understand, it is very difficult to make definite plans for the near future, but here are a few ideas:
- Parish Party. It has been pointed out to me that the date I chose for our party, in the middle of August, may not be a good one for many of you. Perhaps it would be a good idea to postpone it until September when everyone is back and we are able to celebrate together.
- A Day of Recollection for Eucharistic Ministers and Readers.
- A course for anyone who would like to be received into the Church or who would simply like to know more about the Faith.
- Bible Study or Prayer Groups
Parish Census. Thank you to everyone who completed the census forms last summer. However, with the upcoming review of diocesan structures, it is important that our records are as accurate as they can be. If your family did not complete and return the forms last summer, please can I encourage you to do so now. If you would like a paper copy of the form, please ask me for one. If you would like an electronic copy, please email email@example.com. Please return the forms to Chris Breward either by email (preferred option) or by post, c/o Sacred Heart Church.
Your Parish Needs YOU!! Please join in.
So many ministries and activities have been “mothballed” during the lockdowns that I don’t really know who does what normally. So can I start asking for help, please? On your seats are leaflets inviting you to volunteer for different things. It is the chance to re-start things, or perhaps to start something new in the parish. Please ask yourself if you would like to be part of the re-awakening of our parish and fill in the leaflet and return it by the end of August.
Please pray for those we know who are sick. If you are ill and you would like to ask for prayers on this newsletter, let me know.
May God bless you and all those you love.
Updated on Sunday, 25 July 2021; For more details please see the Newsletter for the week.